Thursday, February 19, 2009

Family As a Means of Grace

I once read that what you do for God beyond your home will typically never be greater than what you practice with God within your home. Each day I live as a father, I learn that family is a primary means of God's grace. Put another way, family relationship is a God ordained way to communicate his unmerited favor and sanctification. Tonight I was wrestling on the bed with my oldest son Josiah, which is a very common practice in our house. In his two year old imagination he has learned the roles of our household. "Daddy is the king, mommy is the queen, and I'm a prince." He typically makes no mention of his younger brother. Anyhow, tonight as we wrestled on the bed, my two year old spontaneously stated, "Kings play with princes, right?" A true parable of our heavenly father's grace. My response, "Yes son, kings play with their little princes." For the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these...

"Family education and order are some of the chief means of grace. If these fail, all other means are likely to prove ineffectual." Jonathan Edwards

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John, Take some pictures of Kate with the kids. One of the things that happens so often when you look back over the years is the mom is in the fewest number of pictures!! She's too beautiful to not have more pictures of her!!! Love, bossy aunt gena